BACKGROUND



This Blog is meant to journal the combined experiences of the persons involved in the Sasha Project. Its objective is to strengthen the ties between families, students (several of us teach), friends, and the growing number of persons who want to be part of the JOY which this Sasha Journey is spreading.

In 2004, I (Tina) traveled to Russia to assist with the adoption of my two nephews. Alexander (Sasha) was our interpreter, driver, and so much more. I have kept in touch with him and it has been my dream to let him experience first-hand the typical U.S. life (versus merely his impressions from American TV, movies and music). My initially modest idea blossomed to include eleven other adoptive families who also want to host Sasha and thank him for helping to make their dreams come true.

It will be fun as well as educational for all of us to share Sasha's observations and impressions of his daily travels as this Journey unfolds. There is an intricately choreographed daily itinerary which will take us to visit the Space Shuttle, Golden Gate bridge, Route 66, a Home Depot and other American icons through Sasha's eyes. The flight to L.A. is scheduled to leave Moscow on Saturday, June 15th to begin his six week visit.
***************
It seems incredible, but the interviewing U.S. Immigrations officer denied Sasha a Tourist visa. He did not see the value in Sasha's trip or understand the desire for the adopting families and children to reunite with Sasha. The officer decided that Sasha was too poor to be allowed even a brief visit to the U.S.

***************

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Inaugural Posting



Today was the first time I have ever been contacted by one of Sasha's students.  She emailed the following: 

"My name's Irina (Ira) and I'm pupil of Aleksandr Romanov. I read your (PennyFinders) blog in our lesson yesterday.               
... you make a hard work for meeting witn Aleksandr! It's very cool! 

I wish you to will achieve it and Aleksandr will fly to the United States!
I would like to get news from your blog."


I had been toying with the idea of a blogsite for Sasha's Journey, but I dread computer stuff.  Computers and I don't get along all that well. But how could I NOT do this, when the Angels are "nudging" me?  Plus, it is May 1st.  The beginning of a new month and a great day to begin something new.

So, this afternoon I began working on this blog site.  I tried many addresses for the site, but none of them were available.  A few I tried were:  SashasAdventure, SashasTour, SashasTravel and more.  Finally in exasperation I asked Angels for an address:  

http://TheSashaProject.blogspot.com 
It was Available!

The next step was to select a template.  Most of them were too fancy for what I could maintain; ones with only colored squares were a little to bland.  
Look at this template. Perfect!  Books. Books. Books!  Sahsa is a voracious reader.
And ALL OF US are learning so very much about Dreaming Big!

Now I need to go back and post some blogs about all these adventures over the past few months ...

Tina

3 comments:

  1. Tina, you are amazing. Not only do you go all out to help this man across the globe, but you create a website for this project. And a great website and blog it will be. Great name, too, as "project" can take on so many meanings after the initial task of getting him across the ocean and into your home is accomplished. I'm looking forward to the adventure. I'm sure pennies (and maybe some Russian coins) will make their way into the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to especially welcome Irina and all of our Russian English-language-student friends to this madcap journey which is Tina. Please do not assume that any of this occurs in a normal American household. There is certainly something special about Tina, but the JOY left in her wake is legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, your work on the site is awesome! Your project works!!! The JOY rippless are spreading... I hope with the letters of support from these Congressmen and other people's back ups I will be given approval in Moscow. My special thanks to you, my dear friend and to all people who replied somehow on the ripples of joy you are spreading, connecting people all over the world! :-)
    Alexander

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of this Adventure.