BACKGROUND



This Blog is meant to journal the combined experiences of the persons involved in the Sasha Project. Its objective is to strengthen the ties between families, students (several of us teach), friends, and the growing number of persons who want to be part of the JOY which this Sasha Journey is spreading.

In 2004, I (Tina) traveled to Russia to assist with the adoption of my two nephews. Alexander (Sasha) was our interpreter, driver, and so much more. I have kept in touch with him and it has been my dream to let him experience first-hand the typical U.S. life (versus merely his impressions from American TV, movies and music). My initially modest idea blossomed to include eleven other adoptive families who also want to host Sasha and thank him for helping to make their dreams come true.

It will be fun as well as educational for all of us to share Sasha's observations and impressions of his daily travels as this Journey unfolds. There is an intricately choreographed daily itinerary which will take us to visit the Space Shuttle, Golden Gate bridge, Route 66, a Home Depot and other American icons through Sasha's eyes. The flight to L.A. is scheduled to leave Moscow on Saturday, June 15th to begin his six week visit.
***************
It seems incredible, but the interviewing U.S. Immigrations officer denied Sasha a Tourist visa. He did not see the value in Sasha's trip or understand the desire for the adopting families and children to reunite with Sasha. The officer decided that Sasha was too poor to be allowed even a brief visit to the U.S.

***************

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Interview Day - Visa Denied


I have been adding to this blog every few hours as the day progressed …

Sasha's interview at the Embassy is 9 a.m. Moscow time which meant it was actually 10 p.m. last night (Pacific Time).  I figured we would hear from him maybe after midnight?  I have been checking every 5 minutes as have some of you.  It is now 3:30 a.m. I have washed dishes, scrubbed floors, repaired things, sorted and paced around the house while waiting ....

It is now 7 a.m. L.A. time (6 p.m. Moscow time) and still we are waiting to hear from Sasha.  I do not know what time his return flight to Krasnodar is/was.

It is now 8:20 a.m. L.A. time.  Incoming email from Sasha: "Have just off the plane and am in the bus through Krasnodar. Was able to get your messages only here...Don't worry I am okay".

***********

At 11:49 a.m. this email arrived:  “I have just come home. Yes, emotionally I have been drained off completely... You know, the interview was going so smoothly at first,  and in accordance with our scenario this time. I had the interview at the sixth window, in the corridor. The Officer, a man, listened to me carefully and was clicking on his keyboard reading something on his monitor, while I was talking. He looked through all the documents that I handed him, though, at first it was clear - he had no intention to... but, just as we rehearsed, I was calm and he looked at our notebook to the end (except for the fact that your cover letter he made me open for him - I think, being afraid that it can be poisoned). And in the end, when I was thinking - "Thank God! Looks like this is a good man and he will give me approvel...... He said, with a pleasant smile - I regret to inform you that....
And here my nerves broke and stopping him I said - ‘You know, I am not dreaming to stay for good in your America! With your - "NO", you did not ruin my plans for the future... I am quite comfortable here in Russia. You have just ruined the dreams of many fellow citizens of yours!’”


***********
Of course I immediately SKYPE called Sasha.  He first apologized for the lack of communication through the night.  He tried five times to send out messages, but the roaming feature on his cell phone didn’t seem to work.  He was so tired after spending 48 hours without sleep on buses, planes, the subway, taxi, plus then the emotional turmoil of the interview process.

Sasha said he did as we rehearsed:  He politely greeted the Officer.  Then he asked the officer to look for any letters which might be in his file in addition to the electronic application.  We were expecting some letters of support.  Sasha said the man looked bewildered, but then spent quite a bit of time looking at his computer screen.

Sasha then presented Attorney Ken’s cover letter and the entire notebook.  The officer asked if Sasha had met these people in America?  Sasha explained that No, he met the families in Russia.  The officer then asked if the families were Russian?  Sasha explained that the children were Russian and being adopted by Americans.

The Officer read Attorney Ken’s letter, then my cover letter (explaining the 10 year Adoption Anniversary Celebrations, family hostings etc.)  Then he read his computer screen for a long time.

The Officer asked nothing about Sasha’s property, Sasha’s mother or sister in Germany.  He smiled and said the visa request was denied because there is nothing to connect Sasha to Russia.  “Possibly you would stay in America”.

Sasha said “It is not me you have affected so much as you spoiled the summer holidays and plans of many people”  “It is on your soul”.

***********
It is so frustrating that a hasty decision by one person could shatter the hopes of so many good people around the world who have been following this Journey.  There was immense goodwill being exchanged between all the students, families and other persons who have been part of the Sasha Team.

How do you tell all the adopted children that the U.S. Officials will not allow Sasha to come visit them?
Tina

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for everyone: Sasha, his students, you, families of the adopted Russian kids and all of us. Let Sasha and his family, friends and students know that we love them (despite the American embassy). -- Marion, Santa Fe, NM



    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a disappointment. It would have been so nice to be able to share a small part of our country with someone who is so eager to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wouldn't print it so I won't say it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of this Adventure.