BACKGROUND



This Blog is meant to journal the combined experiences of the persons involved in the Sasha Project. Its objective is to strengthen the ties between families, students (several of us teach), friends, and the growing number of persons who want to be part of the JOY which this Sasha Journey is spreading.

In 2004, I (Tina) traveled to Russia to assist with the adoption of my two nephews. Alexander (Sasha) was our interpreter, driver, and so much more. I have kept in touch with him and it has been my dream to let him experience first-hand the typical U.S. life (versus merely his impressions from American TV, movies and music). My initially modest idea blossomed to include eleven other adoptive families who also want to host Sasha and thank him for helping to make their dreams come true.

It will be fun as well as educational for all of us to share Sasha's observations and impressions of his daily travels as this Journey unfolds. There is an intricately choreographed daily itinerary which will take us to visit the Space Shuttle, Golden Gate bridge, Route 66, a Home Depot and other American icons through Sasha's eyes. The flight to L.A. is scheduled to leave Moscow on Saturday, June 15th to begin his six week visit.
***************
It seems incredible, but the interviewing U.S. Immigrations officer denied Sasha a Tourist visa. He did not see the value in Sasha's trip or understand the desire for the adopting families and children to reunite with Sasha. The officer decided that Sasha was too poor to be allowed even a brief visit to the U.S.

***************

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Final Preparations



This evening I spent nearly an hour on Skype with Sasha. Half of it was checking over his documentation and presentation. The other half hour was listening to his excitement.  I saw a glimmer of that passion nine years ago when I first met him.  I remember how at that time he was astonished at all the similarities between the American families he was meeting and the Russian families he knew.  That was much different thinking than the concepts of fear and mistrust he had been raised with.  He stated then that somehow he wanted to make a small difference in bringing the people of the two countries together.  Helping with adoptions was one way to do that. 

Tonight Sasha was still in awe that two weeks from now he should be actually standing on U.S. soil and seeing the families he helped to form.  He said it seems unreal.

**********
This morning I awoke and tried first thing to check emails for crucial correspondences and to prepare for the morning Skype call with Sasha.  My internet service was not working!  It was not working on my husband's computer either!  I was immediately on the phone with the internet company to get the issue resolved.  Now, in hindsight I wish I would have thought to take a photo.  It became a 'family time' in the attic.  Doc was on his belly, I was kneeling next to him, and the three dogs were using their noses to try to help with the wiring.  I was not laughing at the time, but most of you certainly would have if you had seen the hilarious situation!

***********
We established this Sasha Journey blog site one month ago.  For those of you who enjoy data (my husband and I are engineers), here are the latest Stats for the Blogsite page views:   Total of 890 Views.   Russia (265); U.S. (561); Germany (39); Australia, South Korea, Ireland, Netherland and Venezuela for the balance.

1 comment:

  1. "I remember how at that time he was astonished at all the similarities between the American families and the Russian families".....
    I feel this SASHA PROJECT is a small beginning of peace, harmony and togetherness... I like following this blog ..CATHY

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being part of this Adventure.